Professor Yarik Kryvoi is the Senior Research Fellow in International Economic Law and Director of the Investment Treaty Forum at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law (BIICL).
He is also Professor of Law at the University of West London (part-time) and runs several projects, primarily related to the former Soviet Union countries.
For several years he practiced international commercial law and dispute resolution advising investors, States, international organizations and non-governmental organisations on matters of international law, commercial arbitration and investor-state arbitration.
Professor Kryvoi has published extensively on international dispute resolution, international
economic law, employment law as well as law and policy in former Soviet Union countries.
He is also a respected adviser to governments internationally on public sector excellence - particularly in the areas of the rule of law, courts, effective management and regulation of legal services and the legal profession.
Positions of responsibility
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), Examiner & Tutor
- International Courts Committee, ABA Section of International Law, Senior Advisor (former Co-Chair)
- CIS Arbitration Forum, Founder & Editor
- ICSID Review - Foreign Investment Law Journal, Journal of International Dispute Settlement, occasional referee for article submissions
- International Law Materials (American Society for International Law), Corresponding Editor
- European Parliament, Independent Legal Expert (Commercial Law, Comparative Law, International Law)
- International Encyclopaedia of Laws, Kluwer Law International, Member of International Advisory Board
Experience as a consultant
- UAE Prime Minister’s Office (Dubai, United Arab Emirates)
- World Trade Organisation (Geneva, Switzerland)
- The World Bank (Washington, D.C., USA)
- Economic Court of the Commonwealth of Independent States (Minsk, Belarus)
- Feedom House (Washington, D.C., USA)
- International Labour Organization (Geneva, Switzerland)
- Born in West Belarus. Raised in Siberia and Minsk.
- Educated in Russia, the Netherlands, England and the United States.
- Citizen of the United Kingdom and Belarus.
- London School of Economics, Visiting Fellow (London, UK)
- Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Associate (London, UK)
- Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, International Consultant (Washington, DC, USA)
- US Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit, Extern Law Clerk to Judge Stephen F. Williams (Washington, DC, USA)
- Harvard Law School, Research Assistant to Professor Reinier Kraakman (Cambridge, MA, USA)
- Belarusian State University, Lecturer (Minsk, Belarus)
- International Labour Organisation, Legal Intern (Geneva, Switzerland)
- Baker & McKenzie, Summer Associate (St Petersburg, Russia)