Investor-State Disputes and Investment Treaty Law
Prof Kryvoi is a leading expert in the area of international investment law. He is listed at arbitrator and regularly advises policy-makers, investors, arbitrators. For several years, he practiced investor-State disputes with leading international law firms in Washington, D.C. and London.
His practice involved representing both States and foreign investors, particular in the areas of telecommunications, oil and gas, retail and food processing. The disputes were governed by ICSID, UNCITRAL, SCC and the arbitration rules. His representative matters include the following:
- Advising a government in Central Europe on ICSID arbitration arising out of a privatisation project and alleged breach of an international investment treaty, including the preparation of counterclaims against the investor
- Advising a major United States oil company in a multimillion dollar dispute under UNCITRAL arbitration rules against a former Soviet Union State arising out of a product-sharing agreement
- Consulting a consortium of international energy companies in a multimillion dollar tax dispute against a State in Central Asia under UNCITRAL arbitration rules.
Prof. Kryvoi is a leading academic in the area of international investment law. He is the Senior Research Fellow in international economic law and director of Investment Treaty Forum, a leading platform for high-level debate about international investment law involving practitioners, academics, government officials and investors.
He regularly speaks at conferences and referees submissions on for the ICSID Review - Foreign Investment Law Journal, Journal of International Dispute Settlement, International and Comparative Law Quarterly.
As an expert, he is regularly invited by States and international organisations such as UNCTAD, UNCITRAL and World Bank to high-level meetings, policy consultations, while his input sought for the preparation of policy documents.
His academic publications on investor-state disputes and investment treaty law include:
- ‘Economic Crimes in International Investment Law’, International and Comparative Law Quarterly (2018) || Download ||.
- ‘Consolidating the International Investment Agreement Network’, UNCTAD Annual High-level IIA Conference (2017) (with Steffen Hindelang). || Download ||.
- Law and Practice of International Arbitration in the CIS Region (co-edited with Kaj Hobér) (Wolters Kluwer, 2017). || Buy ||.
- The International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes
(Kluwer Law International, 2016, third edition). || Buy ||.
- ‘Consent Awards in International Arbitration: From Settlement to Enforcement’, Brooklyn Journal of International Law (2015). || Download ||.
- ‘Counterclaims in Investor-State Disputes’, London School of Economics Legal Studies Working Paper (2011). || Download ||.